The Ogun State Government has debunked a claim by the Chairman of the Community Development Committee, CDC, in Magboro, Oluwasegun Oladosu, that about 25 persons had died of Cholera outbreak in the past few days.
Government, however, did not reveal the number of casualties, saying it is still being investigated by public health workers.
Oladosu had listed the affected communities to include Arepo, Akeran, Abule-Oko, Akintonde and others, all in Obafemi-Owode Local Government.
The community leader alleged that about 15 Hausas living in Kara were said to have died of the ailment.
However, the Ogun State Government said such a number of casualties have not been recorded since the disease broke out.
DAILY POST reports that Ogun Health Commissioner, Dr Tomi Coker, debunked the report that 25 people died of Cholera in Magboro.
Speaking with our correspondent in a telephone interview, Coker said no casualty was recorded in the last 24 hours.
On hearing the claim of the community leader that 25 persons had died, the Commissioner exclaimed, saying, “Really! Where is that coming from?”
She said, “I don’t know where that information is coming from, but definitely, such number of people are not dead, because we haven’t had any reported death in the last 24 hours, and there is no active case. The only active case we have at the moment had been picked up on Sunday and he is going to be discharged tomorrow (Wednesday). He is well and alive and he’s being resuscitated at the local primary health centre there at Magboro.
Coker spoke further that, “The bacteria is transmitted from faeces to mouth. The situation at Kara could not have occurred if people do not defecate in the open. And secondly, when some people go to the toilet, they don’t wash their hands.“
Speaking on the government’s efforts to curtail the disease, Coker explained that, “We have set up a treatment centre right there in that community and we have engaged the traditional ruler to keep the people informed, safe and also calm.
On the exact number of casualties, the Commissioner maintained that “We are still investigating. The public health officers are out there investigating and I will wait for the report.”