Closure Of BECE Registration Portal Not Punitive – NECO

 The National Examinations Council has reacted to the criticism triggered by the closure of the registration portal for the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE).

BECE is an annual examination conducted by NECO for students in class three of the Junior Secondary School (JSS3).

Some school authorities had raised concerns over the failure of their candidates to sit for the ongoing examination which began on Monday.

In his reaction, NECO’s Head of Information and Public Relations, Azeez Sani, in a statement on Wednesday said adequate opportunities were provided well in advance for all schools to register their candidates.

Sani stated that as a result of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, the Council extended the duration for registration to 12 midnight of Friday last week.

“The extension was widely publicised through various platforms. The aim was largely to accommodate late registration.

“It is regrettable that despite these measures, some schools failed to complete the registration or enrollment processes,” he said.

The NECO spokesman stressed that the examination body was committed to the effective and efficient conduct of all examinations within its statutory mandates.

He, however, gave an assurance that the Council would continue to engage all stakeholders in the most appropriate ways

(Visited 11 times, 1 visits today)