Abayomi A. Adebayo, a professor of Economics from the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile Ife emerged as the most productive Nigerian researcher in Economics in the 2021 AD Scientific Index ranking of Economists. The done who has all his degrees from the same university has an H-index of 25 and i10-index of 46, to become one of the three Economics dons that are among the best 200 researchers in Nigeria. The other two are Uwuigbe Uwalomwa and Akinlo Anthony Enisan who are respectively from Redeemer’s and Covenant universities. Interestingly, Professor Enisan who is the current Vice-Chancellor of Redeemer’s University is also a Professor of Economics Here is the full list of the top twenty economists/accountants in Nigeria.
1. Abayomi Adebayo (Obafemi Awolowo University)
2. Uwuigbe Uwalomwa (Covenant University)
3. Akinlo Anthony Enisan (Redeemer’ University)
4. Chukwuma Charles Soludo (University of Nigeria, Nsukka)
5. S. A. Yusuf (University of Ibadan)
6. Onakoya Adegbemi Babatunde (Babcock University)
7. Adeola Festus Adenikinju (University of Ibadan)
8. Olopade Bosede Comfort (Adeleke University)
9. Lawal Adedoyin Isola (Landmark University)
10. Ogundipe Adeyemi (Covenant University)
11. Lukman Raimi (American University of Nigeria)
12. Olanrewaju Olaniyan (University of Ibadan)
13. Babajide Ayopo Abiola (Covenant University)
14. Joel Babalola (University of Ibadan)
15. Musibau Adetunji Babatunde (University of Ibadan)
16. Fidelis Obioma Ogwumike (University of Ibadan)
17. Uwuigbe Olubukola Ranti (Covenant University)
18. Adelowokan Oluwaseyi Adedayo (Olabisi Onabanjo University)
19. Matthew Augustina Oluwatoyin (Covenant University)
20. Alege Philip (Covenant University)
One interesting discovery from the list is that Covenant University has the joint highest number of scientists (six) with the University of Ibadan in this top-flight. It is also worthy of note that the only three women among the best economists in Nigeria are from private universities. One of them (Olopade Bosede Comfort) is from Adeleke University while the other two (Babajide Ayopo Abiola and Matthew Augustina Oluwatoyin) are from Covenant University. It is also worthy of note that academics in private universities dominate this list. There are eleven dons from private universities leaving only eight places for federal and one for state universities.
The dominance of private university dons is an indication of the level of funding that these universities give to academic research. Our government universities should also step up and provide sufficient funding for economic research. This will go a long way to raise our economy.
Data Source: Nigeria Economics Ranking 2021